Thursday, November 1, 2007

Music Musings

So the past couple days I've been exploring music.  I've been listening to stations on Pandora (a really cool site that lets you create stations based off artists, albums, or styles; the stations then play similar music), exploring what Songbird has to offer, and just stumbling on different styles and artists through friends and randomness.

When I stop to think about my explorations into the realm of music I can't help but think how it is effecting my perspective, mood, and life.  I guess it shouldn't surprise me: like any journey a trip through music can't help but change us.  But still, it surprises me just how much impact music leaves on our psyche.

It seems that when we listen to music (especially real music, meaningful music, instead of just musical fluff that so often surrounds us), when we listen to music we are changed.  We think differently, and these changes last far beyond when we have stopped listening.

Music effects our mood.

At the same time, the music that we gravitate towards at any given moment is effected by our mood.  When I'm down I find I want to listen to music that empathizes with my feelings.  Similarly when I am excited or happy I want to hear music that is positive and up-beat.

Mood effects our music.

I'm wondering if the key to truly enjoying music is to control when the music sways us, and when we sway the music.

1 comment:

Micah Foster said...

you need more content...